Friday, May 13, 2011

"God made me fast."


Have you ever seen the movie "Chariots of Fire"? It is one of my favorite movies. The story is inspiring and it got me through my youth soccer days when my family and I chose to not participate on Sundays to honor the Lord's day. If you don't know the Eric Liddell story, please watch it or read a biography. It's really great.

In the movie Eric is talking to his sister Jenny. She wants him to go to China as a missionary. His family is involved in missions and he is planning to go. But before he goes, he wants to run. He has a chance to be on the Olympic team for Great Britain. This upsets his sister. He replies:

"God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure."

Eric runs, and I won't share the rest of what happens in case you don't know the story.

I was thinking a lot about this the last few days. I always thought about the quote in relation to sports, feeling His pleasure as I played for His glory. But this week I thought about it in a broader context.

How did God make you?

Are you an artist? Do you love painting people, landscapes and more with a steady, creative hand?

Are you a mathematician? Do you love the intricacies of numbers and proofs?

Are you a gardener? Do you love creating a beautiful space full of God's plants and creatures?

Are you a chef? Do you love whipping together gastronomic masterpieces for others to feast on?

Are you a mother, a father? Do you love having children and raising them for the glory of God?

What do you love to do? What did God gift you in? When do you feel His pleasure?

Sometimes I think we get caught up in "What should I do?" and worry that the things God made us for are not what He is calling us to. We worry that there is always something nobler we could do, something more pure than the thing that gives us joy.

I'm not saying God doesn't ask us to give up things. I'm not saying His calling for you might not mean a great sacrifice for you, even your life. But I do think God loves to see you revel in the gift He has given you when you use it for Him.

Sing for Him. Run for Him. Teach for Him. Speak for Him. Work for Him. Paint for Him. Write for Him. Film for Him. Raise children for Him. Serve Him with your gifts.

"Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with Whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures." James 1:16-18

Find joy in using your gifts for Him.

4 comments:

  1. I love teeth! Thanks, Abby, for sharing! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! we had a similar discussion at youth group this week discussing one's purpose and one's calling. we kind of concluded that everyone has the same purpose: to love and know God and to make Him known (or some variation of this). but one's calling is the thing that sets you apart from other people; what talents you're given is most likely what God is calling you to do. good stuff!

    oh, and I like to create and paint things...and to be available to people!

    nice thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW do you always write about something I need to read?! I love that God has given you the gift of writing, and I love that you write for Him. Thank you, Abby!

    I like music and science. And people. I'm currently hunting for a job, so this post encourages me to really go after what I WANT to do. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Becci, we love you guys too!

    Thanks Karen, that's sweet you all were discussing purpose and calling! Can I see some of your paintings some time??:-)

    Thanks Sarah, your comment was incredibly encouraging to me. Keep pursuing God and using your gifts!

    ReplyDelete