Sunday, March 27, 2011

like elijah

"And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire, the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" He said, "I have been very jealous for the Lord, the God of hosts. For the people of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, thrown down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword, and I, even I only, am left, and they seek my life to take it away." 1 Kings 19:12-14

Elijah at this point in 1 Kings is afraid for his life. God has used him to defeat and kill all of the priests of Baal. The wicked Queen Jezebel wants to kill him and Elijah flees for his life. Talk about a stressful situation. Talk about being alone.

Even though I have had no reason to fear for my life like Elijah, I have felt alone in the world (think work). It can be difficult to be the only Christian, the only God-fearer in a place that is sometimes swamped with darkness. Recently though, I have heard the voice of God.

"Yet I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him." 1 Kings 19:18

Lately I have been having faith conversations with people at my job. I cannot say where each of them are at in their path to Christ, but I know now that I'm not alone like I thought. The last couple weeks at work I have had two of the girls tell me they would be praying for me. It was like a breath of fresh air after nearly two years of feeling like the only one praying. It felt like God rolled back the clouds around Mt. Horeb and showed me His people, "Yet I will leave..."

God is working in more ways than we will ever know, even in the darkest situations like Elijah's, He is always present. May we never forget that though we feel alone, He is with us and His body of believers is still present in the world.

"And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I often find myself in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete