Thursday, March 26, 2020

#shelterinscripture


Photo of empty Target shelves from Florida Today

The last few weeks I’ve felt a spike in my anxiety.  Maybe you have felt it too.

The news stories about coronavirus have steadily moved closer to home.  In February I took my kids to the pediatrician for well-kid checkups, and a case was reported in that area.

Two weeks ago I brought my kids to the grocery store.  It was the beginning of the panic, and the shelves seemed to be emptying out before my very eyes.  I felt more and more worried about accidentally passing the illness to someone as my kids did what kids do: touch the cart, touch the shelves, run their hands along the empty freezer case.  Well, not quite empty; there were two bags of edamame no one seemed to want even in a pandemic.

That weekend was stressful as we made last minute decisions: should we meet with our friends, as a church?  What size of a group is okay, is too risky? A conference was cancelled.  We had to postpone a trip to see my grandparents.  Our church can’t meet in the high school for the next couple months.  The college students were sent home.  All of our regular face-to-face interactions have been moved to Zoom meetings. It felt like a domino effect on normal life, slowly tumbling into a reality no one recognizes or was totally prepared for.

There are plenty of things to feel anxious about right now: health risks for loved ones, job security, stay at home orders, and more.  All this on top of what you might feel anxious about on a normal day.

I received an email from the Academy of American Poets this week saying that they were encouraging people to shelter in poems as they shelter in place.  They are asking people to share the poems that are giving them courage and strength during this difficult time.  I thought this was a wonderful idea, and I wondered, what if we did the same thing with the poetry and promises of Scripture?

When we are anxious, the thoughts that worry us are like an infectious pop song stuck in our minds.  We return to the rut we have formed by repeatedly thinking these anxious thoughts and it can be hard to escape.

The only way I can get a song out of my head is by listening to a new song.

What if we replaced those anxious thoughts with Scripture, and trained ourselves to remember the promises that God has given us in His Word for such a time as this? Let’s listen to a new song together.

I’m going to #shelterinscripture this week, and I hope you will join me.  Here are some of the verses I will be meditating on as I keep my heart quiet before the Lord.
  • “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:1-2
  • “The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.”  Proverbs 18:11
  • “When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.  What can flesh do to me?” Psalm 56:3-4
  • “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
  • “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
Which scripture will you choose to meditate on, shelter in this week?  Let me know how you are going to #shelterinscripture in the comments or on social media this week and share those verses with your friends.  Let’s encourage each other with the truth of God’s Word.  Even in isolation, God is with us and He will not forsake us.

1 comment: